7. The Saga of Larten Crepsley




I told you I'd be visiting some other works by Darren Shan and it just so happened that I did this sooner rather than later. The last time we visited his novels, more specifically the Darren Shan/Cirque Du Freak Saga, I told you all of some feelings and experiences I associated with those books and how they helped me process my life and move on. This time round it is nothing but a happy experience as this saga is practically all new to me, as a plus there is no film to be attached to (some would say Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant was rubbish and although correct I still enjoyed it, it's spooky vibes man.) 

On that note then, let me take you back to a simpler time. We are talking about 10/11 years ago give or take, I was around 12 or 13 and with my new secondary school freedom I had just discovered the library. So every Monday and Friday I would get off of the bus 6 stops early and go to the library and stay for 3 or so hours until my Dad finished work and we could go home. Now I am fully aware the purpose of a library is to borrow the books, take them home and read at your leisure and take them back, while I did this also, I much preferred to sit in the library surrounded by aged literature and read, so I did. And this is where I discovered the very first installment of the Larten Crepsley Saga, way before Cirque Du Freak and whatever else existed in my tiny mind, and stupidly I have only just, after re-reading, fully caught on to the association. It fills me with joy that all these years later I have not only discovered a book which brings back such comforting memories, but one that I can say I have now fully understood it's place in a much wider adventure. 

So with that in mind, this saga is relative to only 4 installments, each circling certain events and times in our favourite orange haired Vampire's life. The first book we visit how Larten fell into the world of the nightwalkers, the tragic events which led him to take such a turn in his life and shape the man he was to become. From there onward we go on to meet familiar faces for what was meant to be the first time, such as Lady Evanna, Vancha March, Seba Nile, Paris Skyle, and so on. Then finally we come full circle and the final pages of the last installment introduce us to Larten's perspective from when he met those two troublesome sons of destiny, Darren and Steve. 

I like the historic names flung in between chapters. I had my suspicions when that friendly Irish chap introduced himself in a pub by the name of Bram. Having only finished Dracul a few months ago I was now fully equipped with more knowledge on the life of Mr Stoker than I should be, but I practically squealed when my suspicion was confirmed. Not so much when we went down the Hitler route but that was to be expected. I also really liked our introduction to Gavner, I never thought much of it but now what happened in the Cirque Saga has fully hit home and after seeing him grow up over the last two installments of the Crepsley Saga I find my heart broken.

I really did enjoy the pace of this one, it didn't need to be vastly in depth for the whole of his lifetime, it gave just enough information on the minor events that shaped him, and went all in on the big ones that caused a pivotal point in his destiny. Although there were many, many, deaths in this saga, none of them took on the tone of pointless slaughter as I and countless others found in the Cirque saga. I didn't bother reading the Goodreads reviews for this set, I was scared of spoilers after the last time, so I can't comment on any disgruntled men downright refusing to ever touch a Darren Shan book ever again. All I can say is I enjoyed the saga wholeheartedly this time round. No hard feelings.

Something which really stuck with me was the mating term between Arra and Larten. The other series led me to believe they had a fiery romance which terminated but there was room for more, the reality when it was explored was lacking, it added depth to the loss Larten then felt in the Cirque books, as well as to the loss he was suffering during their term, but I feel like there was a little more interest and conflict needed during their term and exploration on his grief for his French Lady, to fully warrant the regret and harsh adoration he felt towards Arra in the future set series. 

I also enjoyed the darker turn Larten faced in book 3, not to spoil it but after a touch of flu a rampage followed by severe regret turned him onto the road controlled closely by one Des Tiny. That blatant run of evil, the loss of control, truly made Larten stand out and although he wasn't the cleanest Vampire to begin with, gave him a dark spot on his soul needed to continue in their life.

Now this is bold of me to say, but I actually prefer this set of books to the larger saga. It is unusual for me to prefer a prequel but I can honestly say this is the exception. Maybe it was due to the writing style changing? Not so much POV, or perhaps it was the lack of needless death and a more invigorating story, who knows, but Larten seems so much more interesting than his modern apprentice, maybe I'll put that down to his life experiences.

Overall then, I am obliged to give the Saga of Larten Crepsley an 8/10, a whole point higher than Cirque Du Freak. It was eventful, horrific, and a masterful work of writing. I'm not sure if I'd recommend reading the prequels first and then Cirque, or do it the other way round like I did, all I can say from the route I took not only was it pleasant as I was already familiar with the characters, but it cleared up some loopholes that would only be apparent if you read Cirque first. Either way, enjoy!

So as always, please stay safe, wear a mask, and enjoy LIVING, do what makes you happy for goodness sake!


Comments