68. The Whitstable Pearl Mystery

 


I made a slight boo-boo when entering into this book series. At the time the book my local Waterstones (other book shops are available) was shoving down my throat was Strictly Murder due to it being set relatively locally. Due to this I assumed it was the first book in the series and happily read through it in a day. Turns out it was book eight in the series and I completely missed all the subtext built up in the previous books to come to a head here.

Regardless of that, it was enjoyable, so I ordered the first three in the series as my tbr pile is growing faster than I can read, and here we are like 18 months later.

I really fancied a simple little murder mystery. This genre is familiar and comforting for me growing up around Tv adaptations of Agatha Christie's works. In lockdown when I decided I fancied a go at writing my own murder mystery I fell into the books for research and I have struggled to pull myself from the genre since. I didn't think I'd end up with such an affinity for crime novels, but they now make up the majority of my mini library and I struggle to get back into the fantasy novels I once lived for. Maybe that's a sign of growing up. Jesus, I hope not. 

So what is it about? Pearl Nolan, owner of The Whitstable Pearl conveniently located in Whitstable, has branched out into being a PI as well as a restauranter. She used to work in the police force and is missing the buzz. Her son has grown up and is living his own life and she is back to trying to find her own identity again. By keeping busy both physically and mentally she is slowly trying to locate the missing piece within herself. Also two seemingly unconnected 'accidental deaths' occur and Pearl finds herself in the middle of it all while also trying to prove it was murder. 

Now a lot of things are happening within this book. The detective on the case is a gentleman called Mike McGuire who starts to develop feelings for our Pearl and vice versa. Of course me reading the most recent book first spoilt things a little, but it was nice to see their relationship starting out. Things seem a little hostile between them both in this novel as they've just met and are battling the same demons at its core (loss of a love) but in different forms. The love of McGuire's life died during a car accident two years before and he has transferred from London to Canterbury to try and move on. Pearl let the love of her life move to the other side of the world 20 years prior and made the choice to stay in Whitstable, throwing away her career in the process and is now stuck wondering if she would still feel so lonely if she had made another choice. These two slightly broken people are brought together in a very smart way. Both are coping, both are independant, but they start to fall in love with the way the other person thinks and see that this only widens their already open horizons. As you can tell, I ship 'em. 

While juggling her two businesses, her son and his new relationship, her own love life, her neighbours cat, her mother, and god knows what else, Pearl still finds time for her friends and by extension solving the murder. She is quite fond of her waitress Ruby who is an orphan and is dealing with her gran being in a home due to her alzheimer's. Ruby is poisoned during this book and Pearl desperately tries to look after the girl while trying to see how this all connects to the deaths, one of which was her friend, the other a client. 

I'm sorry that all seems like a bit of a whirlwind but that is because I have literally just finished this book, as in three minutes ago.

First thought on this was cosy. I like Canterbury but it holds painful memories for me so I try not to go there too often. It also holds a fair few of good memories too, which are starting to outweigh the bad. Take 2 years ago for example. I met up with my old school friends, one of which happened to work in the Cathedral, he gave us a tour and I'd never been in there before. That day was great for me, I hadnt seen these boys (aside from one of them) for a few years despite the group chat, but it was like nothing had ever changed. It didnt matter that we'd grown up and that I could ferry us around in the car instead of relying on busses like the old days, for a moment we all felt complete again, young again. Absolutely rivals the reason why I can't go into the Canterbury Waterstones without my heart breaking all over again. Another good one is Beth's birthday meal, just us three girls having a laugh and eating fancy food. My brother's theory test that I took him to. It all adds up in such an idealistic place, the old architecture blending with the new. I've never been to Whitstable but the imagery of Canterbury throughout this book is enough for me. This book and consequently the whole series, feels like home.

On a side note, thanks goes out to Julie Wassmer for making me think about that, I've just mentioned in that group chat about this years grand meet up. My friends and I dont speak as much as we used to, our GC is made pretty much of memes and I barely contribute, but those boys are still a massive part of my life and I theirs. The friendship is still very much alive. Hi Jamie, Nath, and Sam.

So, going back to cosy. Despite obviously feeling very familiar to me, this book also isn't rocket paced, it's quite family orientated, and gentle. I like the fact my brain isnt overloaded with facts or action. I liked the fact there was a little twist at the end involving a certain italian lass. I knew about the blond boy early on, but she was a nice touch. (Trying so hard not to give spoilers.) I couldn't really fault any of this to be honest. I would read the book again, I was comforted, it was sweet. It was also really informative and I learnt about boats and seafood. I grew up around the harbour and so knew a little already, but like McGuire I've never had an Oyster, I'm starting to think maybe one day I shall...

So overall then, I give The Whitstable Pearl Mystery a 8/10. Cute, cosy, comforting. That's what we have taken away here. I'm very much looking forward to the next one! 100% recommend though, not just because it's a locally based book but because it was really enjoyable. There was no massive twists or turns, no silly subplot, just really good writing.

So, has anyone else read this book? Comment on my socials if you'd like to have a bookish chat!

Comments