69. Cairo Conspiracy/Boy From Heaven

 


First, I would just like to start off by saying that this is an English subtitled film. Those of which do not enjoy what is known as foreign media, please go now. 

I watched this movie by choice, as I explained to my mother last night why should I let a little thing like not speaking a language stop me from watching otherwise incredible movies? I refuse to be limited in this way and it is all thanks to A level Film Studies. Thanks Miss Allen. 

Now, I originally wasn't going to post anything about this film because I dont like talking about politics or religion, both of which are themes in this film. But I decided to skirt around it and look at the movie itself. This will be a short post, but we like short and sweet.

So what is it about? Known in other countries as the Boy From Heaven, released in the UK and America and I'm sure some other places as Cairo Conspiracy, we follow a young man called Adam, a fisherman's son as he is given a scholarship into a university in Cairo. Upon going he is sucked into the dangerous game of an informant as he is chosen to spy on religious men hoping to be elected as what I think is like a religious leader but I am not sure. There is murder, there is conspiracy, espionage to a lower degree. The movie isn't at all what I thought it was going to be, but it was interesting.

I did next to no research on this movie before going and that was sort of intentional. I didn't know it was subtitled until yesterday morning, but I was sort of expecting it and not at all bothered. I heard Cairo and was in. As an amateur Egyptologist, anything Egyptian interests me. Of course my speciality is the ancient aspect, but I'm open to learn about the modern language. I soon realised that this film was going into a political aspect when catching a quick overview before my viewing, but I decided to go ahead for this very reason. It isn't often you get this look into another culture, or experience a chance to witness interactions entirely in a different language (of which you know very minimum) but with the ability to understand what is being said. I couldn't miss that. I'm also really looking forward to D'Artagnan which is entirely in French and comes out next week. I do speak a little French so I am eager to put my skills to the test.

One word to describe this movie would be insightful. I can see why it won awards at Cannes. The cinematography was beautiful. The characters moving, I felt anger and sadness, and worry for poor Adam. I liked the bright lights and colours, the soothing palates within the movie, this contrasted really well with what is actually quite a dark almost malicious plot. It is all about manipulation really, especially the relationship between Ibrahim and Adam, although the older man comes to care for the boy towards the end and tries to save him. He is a good man really, its down to the job at the end of the day. I liked Raeed, I felt sorry for him. I almost wanted to see more of him throughout this movie, see him change Adam a little and make him like the other side of a conscious. This was hinted at a little, but I wanted an expansion. 

I was lucky enough to see this film as an Unlimited Screening, so just a little in advance of anyone else really. But I was pleased I did. Of course movies with this plot or themes are not my cup of tea, but it was interesting to step out of my preferred genres for a second and see something different. I really do encourage others to do the same.

Overall then I give Cairo Conspiracy or Boy From Heaven a 7/10. The film went quite quickly and it was not hard to follow at all. It was sort of soothing in a way despite the topic of the movie, gentle despite some of the more violent scenes. An odd contrast for a movie, but I like that. It certainly gives you a lot to think about.

Comments