72. Beyond Paradise

 


I loved Death in Paradise back in the days of Ben Miller and Kris Marshall. It had a certain cosiness, a good atmosphere between characters. In blatant terms, it was easy watching. Everyone was good natured, the writing was good and the setting made me long for hot weather. I never got the time to continue my binge watch after Humphrey exited, although I hear Ardal was quite good. I picked back up on Friday nights with Ralph Little and I'm sorry but I just feel like the series is now like pulling teeth. It's lost its easy magic somehow.

That's why when Beyond Paradise was announced with Humphrey back in the saddle I was both excited and a little apprehensive. Now this new series is set in the UK, a little place in Cornwall, and doesn't focus solely on murders like the show before. We are dealing with day to day police life and it is a little more realistic because especially in the Cornish coast people aren't murdered left right and chelsea. If they were there would be no one left. I liked this, it brought back the cosy feeling, and the plot focused on so much more than just police work and the main detective. We looked at Martha, Hump's fiance, and her struggles getting pregnant as well as setting up her own business. We looked at life settling from the Met to a tiny little police force, and the struggles of everyone adapting to Hump's unorthodox ways and him trying to blend in with his new, fairly judgemental, colleagues. 

This spin off just stripped the whole thing back to easy Friday night watching, even despite the quite serious and heartbreaking subject matter in places, it was written and played in a really gentle and soothing way. You just felt like crying but knowing that they were all going to be okay. I can't really explain it, but the whole atmosphere of this series is really calming.

Beyond Paradise has got it all. Humour, heartbreak, aliens, witches, friendship, a duck named Selwyn, and in the finale Saint Marie and our company there. I absolutely loved this finale. After the heartbreak of Martha leaving Humphrey and him trying to cope from the aftermath of her saying she only wanted kids to make him happy, then this, we see a broken man trying to solve a case while holding it all together. He goes back to Saint Marie to get his head together, giving us the cameo opportunities we all wanted, and then the love of his life appears on that beach and all is good again. This is the romance I strive for, I adore this kind of media. I also loved the line of famous british faces all eager to get in on the action. You'll recognise someone in every episode, not to mention Jamie Bamber as Martha's jilted lover, Archie. He's cute and all but I'd pick Hump too.

Now during this series we juggle many topics. A witch injuring people, crop circles and alien sightings, car thieves, the burning of vineyards and farms, IVF failure, heartbroken lovers trying to worm their way back in, a houseboat, a new boss, and many other things but that was just off the top of my head. Margot by far has to be my favourite character here though, aside from Humphrey of course. She's our main source of comic relief, a snarky middle aged lady who has seen it all and lived it up. Bright colours, wacky hair, and an attitude only found through self confidence. This is my spirit animal.

Humphrey of course is as adorable as ever. He is still the loveable klutz we came to know back in paradise, but now he is on home turf he really shines. Having his eccentricities shine amongst his family and people who are probably slightly more likely to judge was a golden moment. I hated that this poor man was effectively being tortured throughout this series though. Hump is such a good man and to get a bit of a cold shoulder from the woman he loves more than anything hurt me. Then to lose another baby, get a punch in the gut following that, hear that his rival lover Archie tried to kiss Martha, and then have her break up with him. Give him a bloody break, seeing him cry and grieve was too much. Kris Marshall played this all amazingly, he has real talent and he really is a loveable goof, but I don't want to see this man hurt anymore.

Both my mum and I agreed that what should or is likely to happen now, is that because they have given up IVF Martha will end up pregnant naturally and without trying. I know its box standard happy ending stuff, but I really think that this is the kind of show that can get away with it, and the characters deserve it. In an ideal world this will be the theme of series 2 as well as maybe a wedding. Alternatively, a wedding and they are happy as just hubby and wife no kids. I'm easy, but I want their happy ending.

A lot of people on the internet are shipping Hump and his sergeant. I can see it, I think they would work well together, and I do sort of think that Martha is a little too uppity for Humphrey, but she makes him happy. So while I too would be happy to see that ship sail, I dont think it will.

I actually cannot wait to return to Shipton Abbott with these characters! I'd even go as far to say that I prefer this series over the original. I give this series an 8/10. It is safe, loveable TV and I am grateful. I adored the cross over and hope that maybe in either the next series of this or Death in Paradise for whatever reason Hump is delayed and asked to advise on a case over there for an episode. That would make my year. Otherwise I think that maybe DiP has had its day and we should just cross over through this show once in a while. Nothing against Ralph Little, but I find his episodes a little boring and non convincing. Sorry. Long live Humphrey is what I say.

Any thoughts you wish to share? Did you love the Death in Paradise spin off? Let me know on my socials! 


Comments