80. Smugglers Adventure

 


So Sunday just gone Kieran decided we were going on a date. It was quickly decided a place of mutual interest was to be the setting and so I was swept off to Hastings and the main event was the cave based attraction Smuggler's adventure, otherwise known locally as just Smugglers.

I've always toyed with the idea of extending my reviews to include more than just media, and if you remember the fudge review I have only ventured out of my comfort zone once. But I felt with the help of my idiot who lovingly supports me, it may just be time to branch out. It does of course help that my world has suddenly opened up to life outside of the cinema. 

For those who are unfamiliar with this attraction, it is basically interconnected caverns underground which housed the smuggling operation among other things way back when. It has now been filled with wax works to tell the story of this fascinating operation as well as being guided through the caves history by the ghost of a fictional Smuggler who goes by the name of Hairy Jack (seen below in wax form).

These waxworks are expectedly creepy which sets the tone for the spooky haunted caves, naturally being a spooky little madam I loved this. And the attraction itself is very interactive. 

You can lock yourself or your partner in the stocks (as seen above), play (super old) computer games, stick your hands in a mystery hole, and watch a 6 minute movie outlining smuggling history. Not to mention right at the end taking a photo which inserts you into a themed background. I will not be including that photo as we've agreed we look awful, that's one for the wall not the public!

I'll admit, I thoroughly enjoyed the macabre element of this attraction, it talked about death a lot! There was a skeleton hanging from chains, a waxwork detailing how suspected smugglers got put to death, an illuminating graveyard, it set the scene. It was also super dark and a little awkward to manoeuvre in some places so maybe not for the claustrophobic. Perfect for a date though as there is an excuse for hand holding! Although if your partner is anything like mine and jumps out at you to make you scream, maybe leave them at home...

This is not intended as a bad point at all, but I adored how dated everything was here. The recordings were all grainy and over the top, Kieran pointed out the computer software was ancient, the waxworks needed a lick of paint. It somehow all helped to maintain the magic, the winning formula which clearly hasnt needed to be updated for yonks. Another piece of history to add to the collection.

This of course is a family attraction for all ages. Maybe small kids should be supervised as it is a bit frightening at times. You enter in the caves from a long dark passage which takes you 70ft underground. This is not well lit and meant to take you back to the age of the Monks who walked the same path. Where there once was candles in the little alcoves designed to give light is now eerie blue lights which raise the hairs on the back of your neck as you descend further into darkness. If you listen carefully you can hear the footsteps of your fellow tour group as well as those who came before, spooky!

After a little video when you reach the bottom you are free to explore at your own pace. Kieran and I instantly broke off from our entry group and went to look at all the things on display. These ranged from wall carvings (some surprisingly recent proving history is in the making), human hair, smuggled booty, secret notes, knives, and a whole host of other smugglers goodies. It was a very educational trip to say the least and very good for your step count! We covered quite a distance without even realising and I had no inkling that we were even so deep until the steepish climb back out.

I also loved the fact that in order to get to the attraction we had to use the Hastings Lift which is an old carriage that is dragged up the cliff face. They are very rare and it was my first time going on them. I love old transport and this was the icing on the cake for me!

Unfortunately, the souvenir shop was a little sparse and there was not much to take home relevant to the experience at all. As an adult I dont always want a gemstone bracelet or a dinosaur, and I'm a little old for my name stamped on a pen. We wanted pins and magnets and the usual stuff, but all that was left was a snow globe. We did however score a pressed penny baring the Smugglers logo for our day out so that was a little more up our street. And I gleefully noted Hastings still use real pennies for their penny presses (admittedly after Kieran pointed this out) unlike all the London attractions who have switched to contactless and silver coins to press. This again added to the old magic of the seaside day out, as well as a quick visit to the sweet shop and a few fishing museums. 

Overall, I'm going to award Smugglers a 7/10. It is an adorable and somewhat hidden attraction which isn't well known. Our visit was quite quiet for midday on a Sunday and there was around 6 other couples max. I feel maybe there could be some aesthetic improvements such as putting the hand back on one of the waxworks, but otherwise I dont think I would change a thing. If I had my way I might take the golden opportunity and kick up the scary factor a notch, which I'm sure they do of their own accord in spooky season, but twas pretty good just giving its slightly neglected run down vibes. It sincerely reminded me of Dickensworld which I miss so badly and would have loved to visit again, I think there should be more of these quirky little attractions celebrating our local history and celebrities, that kind of thing is making a comeback again. We want creepy waxworks whose eyes follow you around the room and fun little rides like in Madame Tussauds near Baker Street.

Lastly, I should mention I am in no way in association or being paid for this review and it is merely my own opinion on an adorable day out courtesy of my doting boyfriend. 

Have you visited? Let me know your thoughts in the comments! 

Comments