76. Renfield


I had so many hopes for this movie based off the trailer. I was wrong, but maybe not in the worst way. I very much enjoyed this film, but it didn't turn out to be my new favourite as I had hoped.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a very macabre person and that I do like the whole vampire genre. I adore Dracula in almost every form aside from the 1992 adaptation which I can't stand despite wanting to. So the moment I saw Nic Cage as the second campiest version of Dracula I've ever seen, I just knew I had to watch this movie.

I say the second campiest version because the top spot is held by my absolute favourite version of Count Dracula played by Keith-Lee Castle in Young Dracula. Absolutely no one can top Castle's performance and yes that is the show that started my life long crush on Gerran Howell. Castle's Dracula was perfect, he was suave, dangerous, elegant, and yet so out of touch with the real world. He was believable, I know it was just a kids show, but it still holds up today. I'd know, I'm re-watching it.

So anyway, two of my favourite Nics team up for this movie, Hoult and Cage. They both do supernatural so well. Hoult was an excellent modern day Renfield. He was the right amount of pathetic and boss. In fact I think he is very well suited to the role so well done casting peeps. Cage is also suited massively to the role of Dracula, those facial expressions, the eccentricity, you just couldn't hope for more. Those teeth must have been an absolute nightmare though, the poor bloke could barely open his mouth to talk, having to speak his lines through them rather than with them. Cool effect though.

Awkwafina was amazing. I love her. The dry humour she brings to her roles and actual realism is brilliant. Like you wouldn't look twice at her characters, they could pass for actual people. She is the most realistic person I've seen on screen in ages and I just know I'm going to love any movie I watch with her in. She was a badass as Rebecca Quincey, smart, ruthless, dangerous. Absolute role model. I'm glad not all of the gore or fights were reserved for Renfield. Although I have to admit the arm severing with a silver platter was genius.

Teddy, Ben Schwartz's character, annoyed me. I know that was the point but I rolled my eyes every time he came on screen. I just knew he'd end up being Drac's new familiar because that sort of thing made sense, but I didn't have to like it. As for his mama teaming up with Drac, now that was power couple goals. I would not be surprised if there is a sequel and she's a vamp. Bride of Dracula anyone? 

I loved the relationship between characters in this movie. The sisterly bond between the Quinceys', the unspoken trust between Rebecca and Renfield, the toxic one between Renfield and Dracula. That one was a throw back to some real life relationships I've both been in and witnessed through my friends. I also loved Renfield and his support group, he really grew to care for those people.

World domination is such a Dracula trait that I can't believe I never thought of it before. Like he's always been power hungry and ready to take on the world one stage at a time, but not like friends or food destroy the joint kinda way. I liked this take, although I wish we had seen him relent and give Renfield more chances to return to him. The thing is with these two is that it really is a toxic relationship, the point is that they both need each other. Drac has gone on the rampage because Renfield has picked humanity over him, fine. But at no point did we see him trying to lure Renfield back into the fold, he just decided he was going to go out of his way to make the man suffer. Still do that, but with him back by your side. Renfield is a bit like a drug to Drac, I wanted to see this on screen. We were almost there, but not quite. 

So mildly disappointed with Renfield but not enough that I wouldn't watch it again. I'll admit, I was really tired and had just sat through Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Among Thieves so was really fidgety already. I thought another 93 minutes on my limited attention span wasn't going to hurt, but it drained me. This chest infection has really knocked it out of me, but has that stopped me working 12 hour shifts and then going to the cinema? No, it hasn't. Tonight I'm taking it easy though, got a normal hour shift and then going to dinner with the girls as Ez is down from London. Might finally be a chance for me to catch my breath and just chill for a second.

I'm going to award Renfield with an 8/10. It was full of gore, laughs, and trauma to be fair. The cast was brilliant, the plot was brilliant. It was a wee bit rushed, I could practically pin point the moment we were going into the final act and it was all to turn (it was the bit where they decide to save Rebecca's sister), which meant there was like 20 mins tops to wrap it all up which was fine, but I kind of wanted longer. In terms of action I couldn't ask for more, loved the gore, loved the violence it was just silly enough to keep it lighthearted. Hoult's performance as the shocked aggressor will never not be funny. I would certainly watch this over and over though and think everyone should watch it once just to laugh at it if not with it. It's a cute film. I just wanted it to be my new favourite but I just wasnt massively enthralled. Like I said, maybe it's me because I'm poorly, but I just felt like it was missing something. I just can't pin point the pizazz it lacks. This was a movie that zipped by in a lighthearted fashion but didn't leave much of a dent.

So, what did the interweb think of this movie? Comment on my socials! 

Comments