91. Bodiam Castle

 


I have been meaning to post about this castle before, but never got around to it.

However, during a 50th Anniversary Steam Gala we attended at the weekend, the opportunity to go again presented itself and as such here we are.

To mention the usual drab, I am in no way affiliated with this attraction. I am not paid by National Trust nor have any ties with them, this is not a paid promotion. I am merely spreading the word about a nice weekend I had and that I think other people should visit this underappreciated part of history. All of these photos were taken by either myself or Jamie and as you will see also feature us both.

Jamie had never been to the castle. He'd been to the grounds for a car show, but never to the castle itself. Not sure what he was more in awe of during our visit, the stunning castle, or me scaling the narrow steps to the tower in platform sandals. 

Bodiam Castle is one of the more stunning castles I have ever been to. Admittedly, it is a ruin, but it is a vaguely intact ruin. The rooms which are stable are actually home to some nesting bats at the moment which is nice.

I'm also going to take this moment to say it featured in the film Wonka as the basis for the famous Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory at the end of the movie. I sat in the cinema thinking that castle was oddly familiar, turns out it was because I had visited it a few months prior...

There isn't a massive amount really to say about this particular attraction to be fair as the majority of the castle is open courtyard. You can dip in and out of rooms, some which are simply an empty shell and if you look up you can see doors and windows which are intact but out of use as there is no floor...

Or you can climb to the rooftops of the towers to see over Bodiam, a picturesque sight especially when the Kent and East Sussex Railway is operational, as seeing a steam train roll in through the treeline is really magical.

This is the only castle I have visited thus far with an actual operational moat. Dover castle does not have a moat, Walmer castle no longer has a moat as this is now a garden, and I haven't really visited any other castles which are worth mentioning right now to continue to compare moat wise. So out of 3, Bodiam is winning in terms of Moat.

The grounds here also go on for ages but I haven't bothered to walk them, but I can imagine this is a fun day out. I'm aware there is a historical trail for the young ones here and not to mention lots of geese, ducks and fish all of whom take advantage of the moat. The entrance also boasts quite the cosy shop as well as a second hand bookshop which appeals to me greatly.

It is also worth mentioning The Castle Inn which is a cosy pub directly opposite the castle entrance. Of course it wouldn't be a classic Hawman/Gilbert outing without a lunch date and so we stopped for lunch when we finished trudging through the castle grounds. As you can see, portions are massive and very tasty and the drinks were welcome and non expensive! It's a win-win. We sat in the pub garden and had our little date, talking nonsense and planning our next train ride which was only a short walk down the road. It's an interesting little catchment area but so cosy and for some reason it really takes me back to the Father Brown era (1950s ish).

I adore the stonework here. It's got a light sandy colouring which is slightly mottled with age. The green tinge to the stone just screams history. There are countless names carved into it all over the place and it just echoes hauntingly of the people and events it has seen. There is no malice within these walls though, no bloodthirst or war wounds that you sometimes get the vibe from in other castles. I feel nothing but peace here. Something about the calm water surrounding the ruin just breathes sanctuary, and this castle was only intended as a defense against the french for this area. It's not seen countless battles like some of our other historic buildings, and the ruined aspect actually came from the place being dismantled following it being given up to pay the Lord at the time's debt. 

I also love the fact the paneless windows look out over the scenery but some still have wooden bits in, not to mention in some of the rooms when you look up the doors are all still in place, reminding you of other rooms and passageways which are now lost to time. If you think carefully they may also still be there, no one knows, there are no floors so you can pass through to them! The air of mystery and possibilities surrounds every aspect which makes me love it more. 

It also pleases me that they haven't tried to recreate anything here. There are no bold coloured thrones or tapestries to try and throw you back into an age we can only use mottled evidence to picture anything about. These rooms are bare allowing the imagination to run free through any era. These places have seen so much, why focus on decorating it based on only one of the many events or people it has seen? By doing so, you are focusing on one historic point, favouring one period of the vast history it has seen and it just isn't fair. By living in the now when you keep it bare, it honours what came before respectfully as then whomever decides to visit will picture the event they wish to see through that time. In that snap shot we see the past and the present and that's how you correctly honour the past. Preservation charities, take note. Stop offending my eyes with tacky recreations. I refuse to believe historic royalty used the colour Teal to paint their thrones.  

It's a perfect spot for picnics and photography. Fun for all the family too. We passed an archery event in the grounds on the way up, so there really is always plenty to do here. I'd recommend seeing what's on through the National Trust website. They also have planned a few open air plays here, so definitely one for the diary!

Despite not having much to say about this attraction, even if it is my second visit, I would strongly recommend visiting here at least once. I fully intend to go back again and walk the grounds as I haven't done this yet as I just haven't had time! There is also an intact pillbox from the war within the grounds which is explorable so if you enjoy recentish history, there is plenty to look at.

Overall, I give Bodiam Castle an 8/10. It's historic, it's an intact and explorable ruin, it's also absolutely breathtaking to look at, what more could you want in a castle? IT ALSO HAS A MOAT, A REAL LIFE MOAT! I'm not obsessed with moats, you are. All that is missing is a dragon and a siege....

Have you been? What did you think? Tag me in your photos or comment on my socials!






























Comments